[Wine] Trouble with WOW "Trouble finding sutible display device".

Jim Hall volunteer.jim at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 10:59:29 CST 2011

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 10:01 PM, micahlloyd <wineforum-user at winehq.org>wrote:

> The launcher downloads fine but when I push "Play" I get this error
> message. I am have not updated the drivers on my laptop because I have no
> idea how. Also, I installed "wine-1.2.2-i486.pet" which was probably the
> wrong move but it was a pain to find a .pet for wine 1.2.2. Yes, I know that
> downloading WOW on a Puppy linux box is a little silly but I am also having
> trouble getting the Optical drive to work right for a different distro.
>
> I am running Lucid Puppy 5.2 on a HP Pavillion dv2000 laptop.
>
> I don't even know if I meet the min requirements for WOW:
>
> My graphics card is Intel Mobile GM965/GL960.
>
> Minimum requirements for wow are:
> NVIDIA® GeForce® FX or ATI Radeon™ 9500 video card or better
>
> It would be great if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks.
>

> I looked up the specs for this comp. General specs are good enough to run
the game. I did not bother with the video spec because "usually" Intel
doesn't do 3D. Some versions of this comp have an Invidia card that you can
actually install! It should be good enough to run WOW on low video settings.

We are not supposed to comment on distro choices here. However, you might
consider going to the Wine site, to the Download page, and see if you can
find something that will get you a later dev release. If that doesn't work
try the Puppy support list/forums. If that doesn't work you may have to
change distro.

You did not say, but do you dual boot (Windows or Linux)?

You also did not say what the error message was.

Jim