[Wine] Re: Winetricks Problem

DaVince wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Feb 8 13:35:06 CST 2011

> Thanks for your reply. I'm not convinced it would be easier to re-install WINE. I am running PCLinuxOS 2009, and they've shut down the '09 repository. I won't be able to get a WINE build for my system any more.

Oh, you never have to reinstall Wine itself. Just move/remove the directory containing your entire fake Windows drive, which is ~/.wine. (This is known as the wineprefix) If you do that, Wine will create a fresh prefix and act as if it's completely newly installed.

Using a command like WINEPREFIX=path/to/newprefix wine command.exe will install/run Wine under a different prefix directory (and actually create it if that prefix doesn't exist yet).