[Wine] No sound in wine with Ubuntu 10.10, native sound works fine

Ryan4200782 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Feb 9 21:56:26 CST 2011

Hello, i am a new Linux user as of last weekend. I successfully built my first computer and installed Ubuntu 10.10 and wine 1.2. I am using the hdmi out on my nvidia gtx 460 graphics card with on-board  which works fine with standard pulseaudio for all tested native apps (system sounds, hulu on firefox, warzone 2100). I have tried every combination of winecfg audio tab settings as well as disabling and killing pulse audio. I have added my user to the audio group. I have purged and re-installed several times. I even reformatted the hd and re-installed ubuntu. No matter what i do the sound test failed, and i get this message:

fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on HDA NVidia, disabling mixer

I bet this is something simple, but i just can't seem to get it working. Before i accessed the audio tab, rome:total war was running perfectly on highest settings(without sound). Once i configured sound, it crashes before the first screen(looking for sound i guess). I can provide any terminal output need, of course. I can't go back to windows <shudder>