[Wine] Re: Wine on 64 bit Linux m/c

buro wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Feb 10 13:35:59 CST 2011

vitamin wrote:

> No, Wine nor Windows have wow64. There is simply no such thing.

I've seen WOW64_DISABLE in configure file. So, I thought there should be something like WOW64_ENABLE. User guide says (http://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-guide/x544)

4.5.3. WINEARCH

Specifies the Windows architecture to support. It can be set either to win32 (support only 32-bit applications), or to win64 (support both 64-bit applications and 32-bit ones in WoW64 mode).

I've set WINEARCH with win64 but I did not understand what is the meaning of WoW64 mode. Then I looked into the configure file (./configure) and I saw below mentioned piece of code,

if test -n "$with_wine64"
then
    if test "x$enable_win64" = "xyes"
    then
        as_fn_error $? "--enable-win64 and --with-wine64 are mutually exclusive.
--enable-win64 should be used in the 64-bit build tree, --with-wine64 in the 32-bit Wow64 build tree." "$LINENO" 5
    fi
    WOW64_DISABLE=\#

Now can you please help me out what WOW64_DISABLE is.

If I try to compile wine with ./configure command only then I am getting error that wine is 32 bit and machine is 64 bit. If I compile with --enable_win64 option then it will only compile 64 bit, so finally wine is not able to execute 32 bit windows exe. It is very much obvious and I can understand then problem. But I am not able to compile wine for both 32 and 64 bit. What is the way out to resolve the problem? Though user guide is telling that wine can be compiled for both 32 and 64 bit machine but I am not able to do that, may be I am missing something. Can anybody please help to point out the issue?