[Wine] Is Wine64 usable yet?

Boris Shingarov b1 at shingarov.com
Mon Feb 14 18:22:15 CST 2011

Hi,

I am trying to get a general feel of how usable Wine64 is.
I just built 1.3.13.
To see how well it works, I ran 64-bit Putty.  It works flawlessly.
Now, I am trying to play around with different little programs.  I took
"notepad.exe" from a Windows 7 install (hoping it would be a reasonably
simple program for a start).  It crashed with:

fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0

It didn't even get to the point to display a window.

Next, I took calc.exe.  It, too, crashed before showing anything:

wine: Call from 0x7b847a14 to unimplemented function
windowscodecs.dll.WICCreateImagingFactory_Proxy, aborting
wine: Unimplemented function
windowscodecs.dll.WICCreateImagingFactory_Proxy called at address
0x7b847a14 (thread 0009), starting debugger...
couldn't load main module (0)
Unhandled exception: unimplemented function
windowscodecs.dll.WICCreateImagingFactory_Proxy called in 64-bit code
(0x000000007b847a14).
fixme:dbghelp_dwarf:compute_location Unhandled attr op: 4
fixme:dbghelp:elf_new_wine_thunks Duplicate in L"kernel32<elf>":
__wine_dbch_time<7bbc3000-00000010> __dbch<7bbc3000-0>

What I want to achieve in the end, is run Hauptwerk for Windows which
has no Linux replacement.  I want to run it headless/embedded, and am
finding Windows ill-suited for autonomous embedded operation.  The 32
bit version seems to work well under Wine.  I need to figure out a few
issues with devices -- this will mean writing a couple of LibWine native
DLLs -- but before going in there, I wanted to see whether 64 bits are a
major additional complication.  If we were talking about a couple of
bugs, I would try to help fixing those.  But the amount of success I am
getting with simplest programs such as Notepad and Calc, is not
encouraging.  Do we need to wait a few years before Wine64 matures, or
am I missing something?