[Wine] Is Wine64 usable yet?

Vincent Povirk madewokherd at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 19:04:57 CST 2011

You'll want to make sure you have a recent gcc; see
http://wiki.winehq.org/Wine64

As a general rule, taking programs shipped with Windows and trying to
run them in Wine is not a good test of anything. They are not like
normal programs. Maybe notepad and calc used to be simple, but I'm not
so sure that's the case in Windows 7.

Your error is caused by an unimplemented function, which is nothing to
do with the architecture. That particular error tends to show up in
.NET programs that use WIC.

I'm pretty sure that if you compile a 64-bit PE notepad or calc from
Wine's codebase, those programs will work.

I think the fact that 7zip and Putty work is an indication that the
simplest of 64-bit programs do run, and the basic architecture is
working.

I would guess that if you have a program that is compiled for 32-bit
and 64-bit from a shared codebase, it's not using any MS components
when it runs in Wine, its installer works, and it's not using
typelibs, the architecture probably won't be very important.