[Wine] Use raw-format drives

Charles Davis cdavis at mymail.mines.edu
Sat Feb 19 16:51:37 CST 2011

On 2/19/11 6:42 AM, annacegu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently using a Windows program, that is trying to read a raw-format drive through USB.
>
> I've tried making a symbolic link to the device from my dosdevices directory
> ln -s /dev/disk3 x:
> but the program still doesn't recognise it.
Looks like you're on Mac (and not quite clueless, unlike most Mac users
:). In that case, you want the device file that has an 'r' tacked on the
beginning:

 ln -s /dev/rdisk3 x::

and when you link it, you want to tack an extra colon onto the DOS name
(like above). The link with only one colon is to the volume's root
directory; two colons is for the device file.
> Is there any way to read such a drive through wine?
If you have the links set up properly, it should work. If it doesn't,
post back with the stuff that Wine prints to Terminal (if it's really
long, post to pastebin or some such, then post the link here).

Vitaliy ("vitamin") might be right, though, about the program not being
able to find the disk because it's looking in a place that Wine doesn't
expect it to yet. Filing a bug in that case might be useful.

He's definitely right about Wine not being able to directly talk to USB
devices. Don't bother filing a bug for that: it's a well-known problem
that isn't likely to get fixed anytime soon, sadly.

Chip