[Wine] Can't get wine to run any programs: included error message.

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 19 19:35:44 CST 2011

On 2/19/11 5:45 PM, kpwall wrote:
> Okay,
>
> I figured out that I have to use a "terminal window," to use wine.
>
> I was able to open notepad and explorer in wine; both of these files are in the main windows folder: c:\windows/*.exe will open notepad or explorer
>
> In windows 7 the full file path I can find for say Internet Explorer is:  c:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer however the command: wine c:\Program Files (x86)/Internet Explorer.exe will not open the application and results in bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
>

> And vitamin I haven't been able to load that page yet it times out or something as do most of the other @%$#ing  help pages I am trying to open or I get a 404 fiel not found on many google links

You have to 'escape' the left AND right parenthesis like this.  However,
Wine does not use Program Files (x86), so it appears you were trying to
map in the Windows C: drive to be your Wine C: drive and that just
totally hosed your Windows installation and broke Wine so it WILL NOT work.

What are you trying to do here?

James McKenzie