[Wine] Stuck on loading screen

jordan triplesquarednine at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 00:48:29 CST 2011

Hi max,

>OK so I'm guessing that Wine was installed in root format that's why it deny my permission.

or your user doesn't have permission to execute the program (.exe).

>I think I did not install it correctly or some thing, I have reinstalled it few times and all my >programs are in the Wine C: Drive, not sure if that's how it should be.

re-installing wine, will not fix your problem, as your old prefix (
the location where your wine applications are installed ) will still
exist...read on.  "C: Drive" is a location visible in Wine, not in the
linux file-system. C: is just a regular folder - inside of your wine
prefix.

>If you can Direct me to right direction here.

technically, when Wine is installed as root (which should never be
done) , you must actually execute a wine app as either "root" or with
"sudo" in order to use that wine prefix. As the root prefix, is in a
different location from where your "normal user" prefix is installed.
( normal user would be your username )

as root = /.wine

as normal user = /home/your-user-name/.wine

see, they are 2 different locations. (more advanced users, will
sometimes have multiple prefix's)

What you probably need to do is open your file-browser in your home
directory (nautilus, if using gnome?), and goto;

menu ---> View ---> "show hidden files". (or press CTRL-H instead)

you should see a bunch of files and folders with a "."  (a period in
front of them ~  *meaning they are hidden files in linux *)... look
for the ".wine" folder - delete, or rename it.

Next open "winecfg", either by typing it from a terminal, or finding
"configure wine" - or something named similar, in you main menu -
under wine (in applications). once you open winecfg - you should see a
pop-up saying something like "updating wine prefix" - once it
finishes, you have a fresh/new prefix in your home directory.

...now re-install 1 windows application (as your normal user) and see
if it works...?

***something you are going to need to learn is linux file-permissions.
if you plan on using linux, it is required!  You need to know the
difference between your root user, and normal user. you need to
understand to some degree or another how file-permissions work, what
they mean, and the file-system in general. It is absolutely
required***

You also will probably want to read through the wine documentation
found @ www.winehq.com,
and familiarize yourself with how wine, itself works...

People on the Wine list are going to have an extremely hard time
helping you, if you haven't even wrapped your head around the
simplest, most basic concepts of how Linux works, and how to use it,
accordingly. Most people probably aren't going to be willing to "walk
you through" on how to use Linux properly, they will only help you fix
an issue with wine, specifically (im just being a nice guy).

I hope this helps you a little bit. but i hope you will take some time
to learn a little more about Linux and the applications you want to
use (ie: Wine), before posting here, that way people can more easily
help you, and you will actually understand the help they are offering.

Above, Davince actually told you how to fix the problem, but you seem
to not understand what he wrote...to quote him;

"You'll have to delete /home/username/.wine (it's a hidden directory)."

this is what i have explained above, in more detail.

take care

jordan