[Wine] Re: Is Wine64 usable yet?

sniveri wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Feb 24 08:13:35 CST 2011

James McKenzie wrote:
> On 2/21/11 2:49 PM, sniveri wrote:
> Use the WINEPREFIX environment variable to create a Wine Prefix.
> Something like:
>
> WINEPREFIX=$HOME/wine64 WINEARCH=wine64 wine <64bit program installer>
>
> and the same for 32 bit but name the wine prefix directory wine32.
> James McKenzie

Hmm.. It is just not that simple. Setting up prefix for both of wines does only separate wine32 and wine64 folders which both are 64-bit wows. Do not know how this could help?

What I did found out is that if I try to run wine directly from command line it does not do anything useful, instead it just complains wrong architecture. BUT if I start installers and programs from nautilus right clicking and using "Wine Windows Program Loader"-command, installations can be done and programs runs no matter if it is 32-bit or 64-bit app.

So seems that the wineloader can detect if app is 32-bit or 64-bit, sounds great! However winetricks does not work for me at all. For time to time I have luck to get something installed with winetricks, but usually it just complains that it can not retrieve "%ProgramFiles%" folder if winearch is set to WINEARCH=win32.

For the graphics: I did only had one issue during installation where screen first turns  black and then graphics appear again, but all the white colors are replaced with green. When the installation was almost finished screen went black again and after that graphics was correct. I did install SolidWorks 2010 SP5 to wow64 32-bit side.

All the test was done with Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit and from latest sources from wine-git.