[Wine] WINE limitation?

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Fri Feb 25 06:10:08 CST 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-25 at 01:00 -0600, slileo wrote:
> Yes, the .exe file works fine on Windows. Only when I run it under
> WINE in LINUX I get problems.
>
> I am running parallel simulations. Each of the simulations need to
> access the same input file. That's the reason why I need to acess the
> same file several times simultaneously.

If the file is opened as read-only there shouldn't be a problem.

If the file is opened as read-write or append (C modes r+, a+) there is
no problem opening the file (C test program, Fedora 14) BUT if more than
one program writes to it, the file is likely to be trashed because each
program has its own output buffering.

I've just checked this using C: I don't speak Fortran, so I suggest you
check the open modes it uses and make sure the common file is opened in
read-only mode.

Martin