[Wine] Installing Wine1.2.2 on Mint9

krisjames wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Feb 25 14:42:52 CST 2011

Last year I installed Wine1.1.42 on Mint9 to run MSOffice2000. But MSWord wouldn't work--it would freeze, give error msg, then close.

Now I'd like to try again with Wine1.2.2. But not being very tech-savvy, may I ask:

Do I need to do anything to prepare for installation of Wine1.2.2? Such as uninstall previous Wine, uninstall MSOffice2000, or anything else?

Or can I just install Wine1.2.2 and start MSWord? [At least, I hope MSWord2000 will work on the latest Wine.]

I'd like to avoid a reinstall of Office2000 if possible.

On this Wine download page:
http://www.winehq.org/download
...the first two listings are for Ubuntu and Debian, but there's no explicit mention of Mint--I understand it's close to Ubuntu, so I assume I want the "Download Ubuntu packages" link?

Have any problems/bugs been reported re Wine1.2.2 and Mint9?

Thanks--tips and advice appreciated!