[Wine] Newbie asking about program links

Myrmidon83 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Feb 26 16:04:38 CST 2011

Hello all.

Fairly new to Linux and very new to wine.

I have, I assume to be a very small problem.  I tried searching for an answer but I couldn't find anything concrete.

Ok, I installed a windows program successfully and it works fine.  When it installed it left 2 icons on the linux desktop, similar to what happens on windows, a program icon and a .lnk file.  I didn't want them on the desktop however, so i assumed they were similar to shortcuts on windows and moved(just in case) to another folder.  However, when i go to menu>wine>program name it no longer runs, but will run fine when i click the moved icons in their new folder.

So I changed the desktop folder in wine config to this new folder, thinking that any installed programs would put their links there and not on desktop.  I then uninstalled then reinstalled program.  This worked, but again, menu>wine>program name wouldn't work.

I'm using linux mint 10 by the way.  I assume this is a very simple solution and i'm making it more complicated than it needs to be.

Any illumination would be most welcome.

:)