[Wine] Current best AMD processor for running mainstream games?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 21:28:25 CST 2011

On 2/26/11 6:31 PM, pin-no-err wrote:
> With all this talk about intel stuff, now I'm starting to wonder if I should go with Nvidia or ATI (AMD). I was set on the Radeon HD 6970 (http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6970/Pages/amd-radeon-hd-6970-overview.aspx) but now I'm starting to wonder... Is Nvidia better supported than ATI?

At the present time, nVidia has the best and most supported Linux
drivers.  This is subject to change, but I doubt that Intel will even
rise to the quality level needed to support 3D video for Wine.

That being said, please follow Charles Davis' advice and look through
the forum threads.  There is a lot of advice on what video cards to buy
and which to avoid.  Intel, for now, should be avoided at all costs.
AMD/ATI has some good video cards and some that should be avoided.  Most
current nVidia GPUs and graphic cards are well supported.

James McKenzie