[Wine] No connection to mysqld

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sun Feb 27 14:11:28 CST 2011

On Sun, 2011-02-27 at 13:19 -0600, jheid wrote:
> No, I have tested mysqld.exe with an older and the newest mysql using
> Wine on Ubuntu. Running the same command line on Windows works, with
> Wine it does not work.

Then I have a few more suggestions. Try at least one of them:

- turn on MySQL server debugging so you can see whats going on
  and diagnose the problem

- turn on 'enough' Wine tracing to see what's going on and diagnose the
  problem. You probably don't want +all tracing but somebody who knows
  more than me about Wine debugging can probably advise you whats best.
  I suggest you try server debugging first.

- try installing and running the Linux version of MySQL.
  This will at least give you a few more combinations to try, e.g. you
  should be able to talk to mysqld.exe from the Linux mysql client and
  vice versa, but be sure you're using a TCP/IP connection or it won't
  work

- ask about this problem on the MySQL Community support forums but
  don't be surprised of they say you should try using the Linux server.

- you can also use Wireshark to see what, if anything, is being sent
  over the TCP/IP connection. It has a nice Gnome graphical front end,
  which is probably a separate package from Wireshark itself: RH
  packages them separately

Martin