[Wine] Can I use Peerblock with Wine, if yes how?

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Mon Jan 3 11:17:11 CST 2011

On Mon, 2011-01-03 at 10:41 -0600, Jack499 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> how can I run Peerblock with Wine? I tired it out, but it didn`t work.

That's no surprise. Here's what you're doing:

Internet -> Linux system
            Linux firewall
	    applications space
              Wine
              Peerblock

As you can see, even if it would run, Peerblock under wine would run as
an application with only an application's priviledges - not exactly the
most useful way for something claiming to be a firewall to operate.

Use the built-in Linux firewall instead. Its already installed and fully
integrated with the Linux kernel. If you want to do stuff that the
firewall configuration tool won't do, take a look at Shorewall,
http://www.shorewall.net and/or the simpler tools its site suggests.
These have almost no overheads since they only add rules to the built-in
firewall and are not run during normal operation.

Martin