[Wine] Easy question

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 3 11:41:43 CST 2011

Jabberwock <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

>well ya ideally just patching in wine would be AWESOME if the tweeks are all done with just swaping native dll's.... but >their not...

See my reply to John on this.  The idea is that we should NOT be using native dlls in the first place but all functionality should exist

>alot of them requier spicific wine versions or like above mentioned winetricks etc. with having these issues i can't seem
>to find a simplifyed answer to running all the programs simotainiously with one wine even with adjustable settings in
>winecfg i point to warcraft III frozen throne as an example of a program im talking about. it requiers a spicific version
>to run because of the way the tcp sockets are wrote for it i believe. cant i just drag over the missing tcp file instead
>of installing a whole new wine compile? or do i have to eat what alot of disk space to run a new program in wine?

You don't have to run different Wine compiles, just different Wine pseudo-Windows directory structures with only those changes needed to make each individual program run.  You might 'get lucky' and have two or three programs in the same Wine directory and their all happy.  I do a lot of testing (to see if versions break and I'm working on a test for riched20 to add functionality) and I have something like 2 GB of Wine builds and about the same in Wine directories.  For the ordinary user, this should not be needed.

>it cant be what the creators had in mind. its lunacy.

Its not.  The 'creators' have in mind to recreate the Windows32/64 API/ABI as it is implemented in the latest version of Windows.  This is an on-going effort as the 'target' moves.  Right now, efforts are to implement the WindowsXP API and they are progressing.  Quite a lot of work has happened since I rejoined the project in 2008/2009.  Much more needs to be done.  And keep in mind that some of the security checking software will NEVER work with Wine as we are not reproducing Windows, just the methods.

>i cant even see calling it an emulator it acts more like a native patcher. o.O

It is neither.  It is an API/ABI implementor.  An emulator does much more than Wine professes to ever be capable of.  Remember the name:  WINE is Not an Emulator.

James McKenzie