[Wine] Microsoft Office and Wine

Pavel Troller patrol at sinus.cz
Wed Jan 5 01:14:59 CST 2011

> abestern wrote:
> >

> > I'm considering installing MS office on my 64bit Fedora 14 laptop
>

> Do you need some special MS office functionality OpenOffice doesn't support? If not, just stick to OpenOffice. Running a Linux-native app is (almost) always better than going via Wine

Hi!
  Just a word from a heavy native Linux OOo user...
  The main problem of OO is not in a missing functionality, but in unacceptable
incompatibility.
  Any document (text, sheet, presentation) created in OO contains errors, when
viewed in MS office. The same applies, when a native MS office document is
opened in OO, maybe even more. Even the most simple text documents have broken
formatting, different font sizing (even the same fonts like Arial and Tahoma
are used to create the document), so it obviously doesn't fit to the page as in
the original environment etc. It even happens in OO itself, when the document
is saved in MS format (.doc, .ppt...) and then reloaded into OO. Some advanced
attributes like bullets shape etc. are also being changed. In presentations,
the elements appear moved to another position, sometimes out of the slide, so
the doc has to be heavily corrected before use on the "opposite" platform. In
spreadsheets, some wild cell value conversions occur, when numbers are treated
for example as dates on the opposite platform, or maybe text. Our company
document template contains background image, which appears as the upper layer
in the OO, fully covering the text, and it has to be removed to view the text.
Of course I cannot create such a document at al. Because I'm strictly refusing
to use any MS product because of unacceptable (for me) licensing conditions, I
have to ask my colleague (running windows) to check every document I create and
correct the errors, before I can send it to my boss or other people in the
company.
  WIth regards,
    Pavel