[Wine] Re: Microsoft Office and Wine

abestern wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Jan 5 13:23:27 CST 2011

In my experience, OpenOffice isn't 100% compatible with MSOffice docs.  Since the majority of the people I work with use MSOffice for docs and presentations, I must be able to work with these formats too.

Justification for my decision aside, I am having some issues with, well all the apps after installation.  I have a twin monitor setup which seems to cause problems when opening word or excel.  The apps open, but only half the window appears and I cant resize it or drag it to the first monitor.  No big deal, though, I disconnected my second monitor and Word and Excel seem to work fine when there is only one monitor.  Any advice?  I am using an nvidia 9200M with "twin view".

This is the MUCH larger concern because Powerpoint is the PRIMARY reason I am installing.  Powerpoint doesnt' open at all.  The MS splash screen flashes briefly then nothing happens.  Second attempt, wine asks if I would like to open in safe mode, "yes", with same result.  Third time, wine asks about debugging mode, I again say yes, and nothing else happens.  Did this produce a bug report?  Maybe someone could tell me where to look for it so I can provide it on a subsequent post?

My gut tells me this is related to the twin view setup I have since powerpoint needs to know details about your monitor setup to properly display presentations.