[Wine] WINEPREFIX - some questions

Pavel Troller patrol at sinus.cz
Wed Jan 5 14:48:10 CST 2011

Hi!

> hi there.
>
> I hope this is the right place for asking this.

Yes, it is :-).

> After reading through the information about WINEPREFIX in the FAQ and the User Manual, I've still got some questions left:
>
> I (hypotetically) want to create a new clean wine-environment, install the winetricks d3dx9 package into it, and then run three applications in it. Would the following commands be the right way to do it?
>
> Code:
>
> WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.new_wine

Assuming that you are using bash or simimlar Bourne-like shell, just add
a magic word "export" (without the quotes):

export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.new_wine

... and the rest may be run without specifying the prefix, but in the current
shell session only. When you log out and on again, or you are using more
shells (in different windows, for example), you must execute exactly the same
export command in every one of them.

> winetricks d3dx9
> wine app1.exe
> wine app2.exe
> wine app3.exe
>

> Or do I need to set the WINEPREFIX again for every command?
> Do I need to run some special command after setting the new WINEPREFIX?

No. To forget the prefix, just do "unset WINEPREFIX" and default .wine will be
used since then, until you issue your export ... again.

> Thank your for answering my questions!

You're welcome.
Regards, Pavel.