[Wine] Using Wine - Random machine switch-off?

carlbeech wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Jan 9 02:24:04 CST 2011

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this...

I'm using an ASUS X59GL using Ubuntu 10.10, 64 bit - 4Gb ram, nvidia Nvidia GeForce 8200M G (256Mb Graphics?) - I'm using the Nvidia drivers too...

I can play a game (Star Wars Rebel commando / Tomb Raider Underworld), however, at random times the system crashes - big style, to the point that the entire machine just switches off! - not pretty.

I'm pretty sure it's not the system itself - under all other circumstances, it's rock-steady, and as I've been dealing with Linux machines for 10+ years, I'd hope I now know how to set one up...

Is there anything that can be done so that when a game goes bang, it doesn't take the system with it? (let me know log files you need if there's anything that can be gleaned from them :-)   )

- I'm partly guessing it's to do with windows code running in a 64 bit environment?

Many thanks in advance...

Carl.