[Wine] Using Wine - Random machine switch-off?

Pavel Troller patrol at sinus.cz
Sun Jan 9 10:41:31 CST 2011

> carlbeech wrote:
> >
> > Is there anything that can be done so that when a game goes bang, it doesn't take the system with it? (let me know log files you need if there's anything that can be gleaned from them :-)   )
> >

> http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-d5f2dcceb129a76261c064fa0ca3cb2876b318e0

Hi!
  This article is good in explaining that wine really cannot make your full
system to crash/reboot/switch off. But it doesn't deal with particular symptoms
and other details of the problem.
  My bell is ringing because
  - it is a notebook
  - it is not crashing, but turning itself off.
  These two pieces of information may indicate a simple reason: OVERHEATING.
  Many notebooks have problems with proper cooling under heavy load.
  Yes, wine running a game can put a very heavy load on your system.
  Please try to verify that your ventilation holes are clear, that they are not
obstructed by something, that the coolers are properly starting (it may be a
bug in Linux ACPI code, which is not starting them properly) and that you are
not burning your fingers when you touch the machine :-).
  You may experiment with trying to play in the cold place, or improve cooling
for example by an external cooling pad or similar means.
  With regards, Pavel.