[Wine] Haegemonia (Hegemonia) and shiny surfaces? Effects missing?

Dima wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Jan 20 05:17:20 CST 2011

Hello! :)

Explanation of the problem:
For several years now it is impossible to render "shiny" (glossy, vertex shaders), effects on ships, planets and generally metallic surfaces in Haegemonia. The problem is that newer graphics drivers on Windows systems changed/lack a feature the game exploited to get these effects. Way back when I was mailing the developers of the game, I was told that it worked on all cards and drivers back in the day but you would need to recreate quite an amount of assets, graphics etc. to get the same effect on newer cards (possibly using pixel shaders now).

My question:
I am about to install Ubuntu just to use Wine and for this game, so I would like to make sure if that tiny effect in Haegemonia actually works. I followed Wine's progress and Haegemonia was not running until now. Since Wine does not rely on updated NVidia or ATI drivers, it maybe possible that the special effects for Haegemonia are finally visible. So my request would be - can anyone make a BETTER screenshot of Haegemonia under Wine than those currently in the archive? A planet other than Mars (maybe Earth) where shiny water effects are visible? That way it could be confirmed if the effects are working under Wine. Right now I can't see any difference from my system on the screenshots as not a single shiny object is displayed with some sun/light at the right angle to make it "shine". So if any of you have the demo of the game (would be enough to show the effect), just take a screenshot of the water on planet earth, or the shiny surface of some ships and post it here (or where ever possible).

Thank you very much for any help in advance! ;)