[Wine] Universal procedure to know if wine can run 32 bits apps

ganymede wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Jan 21 15:01:14 CST 2011

Hi,
I'm preparing a training session on avisynth (running under wine) for a local linux user group (LUG). In the list of prerequisites for people attending this training session, they will have to install wine on their computer. Since we will be using only the 32 bits version of avisynth, it will be mandatory that their version of wine is able to run 32 bits apps.
My problem is that I neither know in advance which distribution people will be running, nor each distribution's policy regarding wine on 64 bits platforms. So there's a possibility that some people come to the training with a 64 bits-only version of wine - not likely, but not impossible.
I would like to know if there's a simple and universal procedure to know if wine if able to run 32 bits apps. Of course, one can try to run a 32 bits windows app to know that, but I would like this procedure to be even simpler, accessible to people that would install wine for the very first time. This procedure would also have to be distro-independant.
I tried 'wine --version' and various commands, but I didn't find how to do that...
Help would be greatly appreciated  :D