[Wine] Re: Wave audio problem

milasudril wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Jan 22 05:37:08 CST 2011

vitamin wrote:

> milasudril wrote:
> > WAVE_MAPPER, beeing the default device
>
> Wine uses first device as default. Exactly the same as Windows does. The only 2 ways to change that order are:
> 1. Define devices yourself via registry and disable autoscan
> 2. Change device order with ALSA (will affect all applications)

You're seem to be wrong about ALSA. The first device it enumerates is not necessarly the default device, which actually is a per user settings. Here is my /proc/asound/cards

Code:

0 [CA0106         ]: CA0106 - CA0106
                      Live! 7.1 24bit [SB0413] at 0xb8e0 irq 16
1 [UA25           ]: USB-Audio - UA-25
                      EDIROL UA-25 at usb-0000:00:1d.2-2, full speed

And when I speaker-test without giving a specific device I hear sound through the UA25, which is the second device. To select the default device I use a .asoundrc file in my home dir:

Code:

pcm.!default {
	type plug
	slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.dmixer  {
 	type dmix
 	ipc_key 1024
 	slave {
		pcm "hw:CARD=UA25,DEV=0"
		period_time 0
		period_size 1024
		buffer_size 4096
	}
	bindings {
		0 0
		1 1
	}
}

ctl.dmixer {
	type hw
	card UA25
}

This file solved sound problems in Firefox for me. Wine enumerates these devices as before:

Code:

Device ff:1 driver version 3.50 (Wine wave out mapper)
dwFormats=fffff
wChannels=2
dwSupport=12

Other devices

Device 2:68 driver version 1.0 (CA0106)
dwFormats=fffff
wChannels=10000
dwSupport=96

Device 2:68 driver version 1.0 (CA0106)
dwFormats=fffff
wChannels=10000
dwSupport=96

Device 2:68 driver version 1.0 (CA0106)
dwFormats=fffff
wChannels=10000
dwSupport=96

Device 2:68 driver version 1.0 (CA0106)
dwFormats=fffff
wChannels=10000
dwSupport=96

Device 2:68 driver version 1.0 (USB Audio)
dwFormats=fffff
wChannels=10000
dwSupport=96

and still no sound through WAVE_MAPPER. So it seems like wine does not support any default device correctly. It always uses the first (which is wrong).