[Wine] wine on mac os x and x11

Jon Christopher jon.christopher at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 00:10:13 CST 2011

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.  I checked out wineskin, but
that didn't really fit the bill,
as what I'm trying to run is a command-line program (comskip.exe, in
fact), and I need to pass
a command-line argument to comskip, which is the filename of the file
to process.

The windows command would be something like

   comskip.exe --ini="/path/to/file.ini" /path/to/recording.mpg

where recording.mpg is going to vary.  This script will be invoked
from a python script, which is
in turn triggered by an applescript triggered from EyeTV.

With wineskin, there didn't seem to be a way to alter the command line
argument(s) from another script.

I did some more poking around, and found a reference to ttydrv in the
wine.conf manual page:

format: """GraphicsDriver""=""<x11drv|ttydrv>"""
default: "x11drv"
Tells Wine which graphics driver to use. Normally you'd want to use
x11drv (for X11). In case you want to run programs as text console/TTY
only without having Wine rely on X11 support, then use ttydrv.

It *looks* like I should just be able to set wine to use ttydrv and
not have it fire up X.  However, I don't have a wine.conf file (or a
~/.wine/config file).  I tried creating one containing the relevant
commands, but invoking wine still started up X11.app.

So, can anyone tell me how to properly set up wine with ttydrv on a mac?

Thanks,
Jon