[Wine] Runes of Magic ClientUpdate.exe crash???

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 24 12:41:08 CST 2011

Charles Davis <cdavis at mymail.mines.edu> wrote:

>On 1/24/11 8:43 AM, James Mckenzie wrote:
>> Charles Davis <cdavis at mymail.mines.edu> wrote:
>>> But he's on a Mac. ncurses is installed by default. This is in fact the
>>> ncurses that is installed in /usr/lib in 10.6.
>>>
>>> @Astrauk: That's not right. dyld should be looking in /usr/lib. Try
>>> setting DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH to /usr/lib, like so:
>>>
>>>  export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib
>>>
>>> and see if that fixes it. Somehow, I doubt it will, though.
>>>
>> Chip:
>>
>> He may also need a LD_LIBRARY_PATH statement (got to figure out why this is so on a Mac still):
>Shouldn't be. The dynamic linker certainly doesn't care about it. (Look
>at dyld(1) and search for LD_LIBRARY_PATH. It's not in there, but
>DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH is.) The only place Wine ever cares on a Mac is when
>we've entered the debugger.
I would love to agree with you, but when I build Wine, it has to have a LD_LIBRARY_PATH or the dylibs cannot be found.  If I could figure out why this is so, I might be able to fix it.  I agree that the proper thing to do is DYLD_LIBRAY_PATH but that has not worked, yet.
>> as well since Wine is basically a Linux application.
>How many Linux-ported-to-Mac apps do you know that depend on
>LD_LIBRARY_PATH? :)
None, except this one.  If you doubt it, I can send you screen shots where the library files are not found. This is also true of the Fink build, so I'm not alone with the problem.

Again, this is weird and maybe it is my system and not Wine.  However, adding the line should not hurt anything.

James McKenzie