[Wine] Runes of Magic ClientUpdate.exe crash???

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 24 14:42:07 CST 2011

rwoodsmall <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

>Astrauk:
>
>I have a Wine source build for OS X that works:
>
>http://code.google.com/p/osxwinebuilder/
>
>If you're compiling from source, you'll need to set some environment variables before running configure (these assume
>Xquartz is installed into /opt/X11, the default location for Snow Leopard/10.6):
>

>Code:
>export CPPFLAGS="-I/opt/X11/include"
>export CFLAGS="-g -O2 -arch i386 -m32 ${CPPFLAGS}"
>export CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
>export LDFLAGS="-framework CoreServices -lz -L/opt/X11/lib -lGL -lGLU"
>

>Then re-run configure and rebuild with make.
>
>Once you've built Wine, you'll need to run it with the proper DYLD environment variables.  You'll need to do this every
>time; you should be able to run Wine from the source directory to test as well should you not want to install it:
>

>Code:
>export DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH="/opt/X11/lib:/usr/lib"
>./wine blah.exe
>

>DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH is not the proper environment variable, and will cause issues loading shared libs;
>DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH is the proper environment variable.
>
>LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not used on Mac OS X unless you've somehow replaced your dynamic linker and C library with the ones
>from Linux.  James is incorrect unless he's somehow done that, screwed up his own system (which is likely), or someone in
>the Fink project is playing shenanigans (which I seriously doubt).
I'll take the second.  I know that I have installed gcc from Fink, but that should not require the use of LD_LIBRAY_PATH on any output files.

>LD_LIBRARY_PATH will not hurt anything but it is simply not used on OS X; you can set it to your heart's content but it's
>not going to help anything at all.
Actually, it should not do anything but take up space in memory.
>Setting DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH to anything (i.e., not leaving it blank) will probably cause failures in finding shared
>libraries.  Use DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH and see the dynamic linker manpage (man dyld) for library search order.

I'll do so.  In the meantime, I'll have to backup the system and find my Snow Leopard disks :)

I really would like to do a full clean out anyway for various reasons.  Have to take a long vacation to get everything proper and to reload Fink and its dependencies.  Not enough hours in the day to make it work.

BTW, we could have a private conversation on this rather than clutter up the Wine Forums and vitamin would appreciate it.

James McKenzie