[Wine] Re: How to get started

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Jan 27 18:30:33 CST 2011

Newbie1 wrote:
> You said "run as user ( not as root )" .  How do I tell if I am "user" or "root"?   And how do I change from one to the other?
>
> You said "wine setup.exe".  Is this entered somewhere?  Where, with what?
>
> You said "to install the program".  My program is just an exe, it does not have an install.  Can I run a program that does not have an install?
>
> Have You ever booted Knoppix 6.4.3?   If so what do you see when the boot is complete?  Maybe I'm missing something here.

Your first and last questions need to be asked on your distro's support forum.  Those are not Wine questions and this is not a general Linux support forum.

For an answer to your second question, read the FAQ.

To answer your third question, if the app does not need to be installed in Windows to run, you can just run the exe in Wine.