[Wine] Aion 2.5.0.x on Sabayon 6

Acidphase wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Jul 1 13:19:59 CDT 2011

Guys I'm making this post because the wine tests details section get truncated but most of it was for Sabayon users:

----
-What Works-

PvE, PvP, menu's etc...

I was getting pretty good frames too depending on where and what I was doing between 30-90FPS I would say average PvE around 70FPS and in cities with PvP between 30-60FPS.

What Doesn't Work

64-bit client (going to work on that next)
The new "High Quality" engine (have to mess with that as well)

Did Not Install Thru Wine

I did not run the installer sorry but I'm not going to sit there for god knows how long to wait for Aion to install all it's patches in my case I just mount my Windows 7 Drive and run it from there.

Better that way in my opinion anyway it's running from separate physical drive.

Details

For informational purposes Sabayon 6.0 AMD64 isn't an option so I'll state that here.

My System Specs:

Asus Crosshair Formula III , AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE @ 3.6GHz, 8gigs Ganged Mode @ 1600MHz, Asus ATI HD5870

Also I installed wine as a prefix using a the wine git repertoires the actual version is as follows:

wine-1.3.23-50-g2497a91

                       -------Preparation--------

winetricks:

d3dx9 d3dx9_26 d3dx9_28 d3dx9_31 d3dx9_35 d3dx9_36 d3dx9_42 d3dx10 d3dxof devenum dinput8 directmusic directplay directx9 dmsynth fontsmooth-rgb quartz allfonts fontfix
vcrun2005 vcrun2008 dotnet20 dotnet30 gdiplus

(All of these are probably not necessary but I'm just defining my bottle environment)

What is necessary is the Fonts and DLL's which is why unless at some point they include the fonts and overrides in with wine version by default this could never get a true "Platinum" rating simply none of the menus will display correctly without the fonts installed hence no Platinum because it isn't "Out of the Box".

Settings:

UseGLSL disabled <=== If your a ATI HD Radeon user you defiantly want to set this to disable or you will have this white 2D texture effect from the emitter/shade effects, I've also seen people nick this phenomena "white smoke".

I also set:

DirectDrawRendering opengl
VideoMemorySize 1024 <===Again this is user specific just something I do.

(you can set this via winetricks or edit the registry manually wine regedit)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D

Running Aion: (cd to the directory bin32 where you installed Aion)

US Users: wine aion.bin -ip:64.25.35.103 -port:2106 -cc:1 -noauthgg -ls -charnamemenu

EU Users: wine aion.bin -ip:206.127.147.28 -port:2106 -cc:2 -noauthgg -ls -charnamemenu

                                         !!!ATTENTION!!!

This section is strictly for Sabayon users to just clarify how I setup the actual bottle (prefix) Why? well.. the wine from Entropy wasn't all that great in my opinion plus you have more control this way on the configuration and dependencies plus if you have wine installed already thru Entropy this won't interfere with that install.

Before I start just like to point out not trying to insult any ones intelligences here just trying to help people that know nothing and are trying out Linux which is a good thing and this will save them hours of searching the internet lol. Most people running a Gentoo based Distro know what they're doing because it's a fun process setting it up if you never had before and Sabayon is far more different than Ubuntu and a nice easy way to sort of get a virtual Gentoo "like" atmosphere.

----

Okay first Wine-git not going to explain that you can read about that here: http://wiki.winehq.org/GitWine

sudo equo install <package>

app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-gtklibs
app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-compat
app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-baselibs
app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-sdl
app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-soundlibs
app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-medialibs
app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-xlibs
app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-qtlibs
app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-java

Once you have that all done we can start on the bottle now first lets make a build directory (If your new to git it's a good idea to leave your source tree as is and build and configure from a  separate directory)

mkdir wine-build && cd wine-build

./wine-git/configure --prefix=/path/to/your/wine-build --x-libraries=/emul/linux/x86/usr/lib/ LDFLAGS="-L/emul/linux/x86/usr/lib -L/emul/linux/x86/lib"

run "make" and go have a drink or something...

Once that's done run:

make install DESTDIR=~/.winetest
(you can replace ".winetest" to whatever you want)

If you did have wine installed already to switch prefix type:

export WINEPREFIX=~/.winetest

If your having trouble with winetricks for some reason try:

env WINEPREFIX=~/.winetest winetricks

To switch back to your Original prefix type:

unset WINEPREFIX

That covers a normal 32bit wine install. If you want a 64bit install or WoW64 setup it's just a few extra steps.

You can read up on it here: http://wiki.winehq.org/Wine64

Just don't forget to make a separate bottle each time you configure and make install add the "--prefix=/path/" for your configuring and the "DESTDIR=~/.winetest" for the
make install and like the web page says make sure you configure the wine64 folder first!

I hope this helps some people I'm no guru so if anyone has anything too add or criticize please correct me and enlighten me I'm always willing to learn something new :)

Good Luck !