[Wine] Re: Uninstall Windows Apps?

crom.osec wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Jul 2 10:16:36 CDT 2011

Normal user.

The only change I've made to the logged in user since that user was created during kubuntu install was to add it to "disk" groups.

So the steps I've made are:
1. Into a new kubuntu computer I've installed wine1.2 using terminal, then sudo su, then apt-get install ....

2. I've installed VisualC2005 with winetricks I've started from the menu, as the logged in user.

3. tried to unintall visualC2005 from the menu and failed. then started again winetricks and deleted prefix. Tried to install visual studio 2005 and complains about previous version.

4. into the terminal sudo su, then apt-get --purge remove wine1.2, wine1.2-gecko and winetricks. then apt-get autoclean, apt-get autoremove
(all in sudo su session)

5. restarted computer.

6. searched for all *wine* folders in the root (/), including hidden files and found in home directory the previous mentioned folders (.wine, .local/share/wineprefixes, .cache/winetricks) + several files related to menus and file associations. Deleted all of them.

7. terminal, sudo su, apt-get install wine1.3

8. Noticed that I don't have anymore wine menus (this was my mistake, deleted also some wrong files). Edited the menu and made again entry only for winecfg.

9. Tried to install visual studio 2005 (double click on setup file open with dolphin, dolphin started as normal logged in user)

10. Same error on install - complains that a previous trial version already exists. Seems that finds already installed also microsoft windows installer 3.1 and .net 2.0