[Wine] Re: Unlocking Windows-LOCKED HDD

SpawnHappyJake wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Jul 2 13:16:43 CDT 2011

*****After typing this whole thing on my iPhone I read the post that asks if the OP was root...GRRRRRRR!!! Why didn't I think of that! *facepalm*

I'd put more effort into getting the first-party app working. Maybe there's a newer version you can download from the manufacturer's website. Does it specifically need 32-bit Windows or specically need 64-bit Windows? Do you need to allow unsigned drivers for it to install? Do you need to manually install the driver via copying it into the drivers folder and making a registy entry?

Then other than the first party app and hdparam, the only thing I can think of now is to replace the password chip with a new "blank" one. That involves a soldering gun and maybe a magnifying glass.

Or you can pay professionals to do the above for you.

But that's all assuming that it's a firmware password (even the hdparam thing was assuming that).

If it's something superficial such as the filesystem (or perhaps even the whole storage area structuring) encrypted to a password, then you can just nuke it, restructure it (i.e. MBR structuring, GPT structuring, etc.), create one or more partitions, and format the partitions, and you'll be good, but you'll lose all your data.

If it's both firmware protected and encryption protected, you could replace the chip AND nuke it and start over, and of course you'll lose your data.

Hope it works out for you.
Cheers,
Jake