[Wine] Re: problem starting Visual dBASEv 5.7

garydale wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Jul 3 09:02:16 CDT 2011

Thanks. It's interesting to note that Visual DB v5.7 runs fine under Windows XP but not under Wine even when configured with the Windows 3.1 profile.

v5.7 dates to July, 1999, which is well into the Windows 32bit era but Borland never did update it. I believe the issue back then was that Microsoft fractured the dBASE base by taking FoxPro in a different and incompatible direction While CA did what they do best - sunk Clipper.

I've been trying to move my application to a more mainstream and portable language but dBASE was popular because it combined database support with an easy to use screen handler. It's not easy to find anything that does it better.