[Wine] Re: UNZ FM TOWNS Emulator not reading discs

SpawnHappyJake wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Jul 8 14:53:43 CDT 2011

ASPI stands for Advanced Scsi Programming Interface. In other words, it is a method (instilled in a driver) to use the SCSI command set to communicate with hardware. Simply displaying the files in an ISO to a folder gives you no way to talk to this mounted thing via the SCSI command set. You can talk to an emulated optical drive with the SCSI command set.

I found this site: http://snesorama.us/board/showthread.php?p=471397. Do you seriously need a floppy to save you game saves? Why can't you just tell it to store save files to some directory? Does the emulated system expect a floppy drive, and the emulator doesn't emulate that for you?
This emulator seriously needs to do more emulation. You should be able to supply it with a CD image and it emulate a CD drive for you (inside the emulator) and it should be able to emulate a floppy drive and save floppy images on your computer that it can use.

If you're stuck with having to use a physical floppy drive, and you're going over to Windows, let me liberate you. There's a free floppy drive emulator called Virtual Floppy. It worked great for me in WinXP 32-bit, but haven't figured out how to get it to work in Windows 7 64-bit.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any floppy drive emulators for Linux or Mac OS. I'm rather disappointed that there's not a vast array of hardware emulators for Linux. You'd think there'd by hard drive emulators, CD drive emulators, floppy emulators, etc. Nope.

However, you can make a virtual machine via VirtualBox (yes, even in Mac OS X!), which is free, put Linux in that, and use VirtualBox to get sub-kernel-level emulation of both floppy drives and optical drives. You could put WINE and the emulator into Linux and see if that works.

I'd recommend a slimmed down version of Ubuntu or something like that without any Compiz or special graphics drivers. All you are using it for is to run WINE to run the emulator. Maybe Lubuntu (Lightweight Ubuntu) or Crunchbang. It needs to be light because the load will be high because you will be running both Mac OS X and Linux at the same time on your hardware.