[Wine] No more alsa oss emulation?

lbm wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Jul 9 19:37:08 CDT 2011

The support for ALSA OSS emulation seems to have been dropped in Wine 1.3.19. Before 1.3.19 Wine had no problem including the ability to use OSS output even with just ALSA installed, but from 1.3.19 and onward OSSv4 is required to build Wine with OSS support.

Personally I find this kind of problematic since a lot of applications work better with Wine using OSS instead of ALSA, and sometimes the other way around. This was no problem when both options where available thanks to the OSS emulation of ALSA, but now I'm stuck with just one option and real OSSv4 doesn't seem to like coexisting with ALSA.

My question here is if there's any way of still building Wine (1.3.19+) with support for ALSA OSS emulation, or if someone can recommend a good way of having both OSSv4 and ALSA installed at the same time, preferably without having to shut down and restart the different sound systems when one or the other is needed?