[Wine] Wine Conformance Test on Windows 9x, how to report?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 20:13:49 CDT 2011

On 7/8/11 11:19 PM, nachanon wrote:
> jjmckenzie wrote:
>> However, if fixing Windows9x/ME BREAKS Windows NT or later
>> functionality, you may be at a loss for now.
> It likely that the case where Wine's fix of Win9x line breaks WinNT line,
> occured when particular application that used to work on Win9x, breaks on WinXP (or NT).
Not necessarily.  However, if the program does not work under WindowsXP,
I would not expect it to do so in the initial setting for Wine's API
implementation which is to use the API/ABI from WindowsXP.  You can
change this for a particular program to attempt to use the Windows98
API/ABI in winecfg.
> So I just need to specify in the report that the application breaks the same way on WinXP or not,
> so they will be able to keep that fixed behaviour out of NT/XP line, then make them available only when
> Win95/98/Me was selected in Winecfg?
Yes.
> And if the app is working perfectly on WinXP without any compatibility mode (which most do worked),
> there's likely one less thing to worry, right?, because it might be the correct behaviour on WinXP/NT too.

Yes.  And if the program does not work with the Wine duplication of
WindowsXP API/ABI and it works with WindowsXP without a compatibility
setting, then a bug report needs to be filed with as much information as
possible.  If it does not work with WindowsXP, then this may be a 'do it
yourself' fix as there is very few people interested in fixing/updating
the Windows98 API/ABI 'stuff' in Wine.  However, if this is a regression
from prior behaviour, then someone may be interested if their 'fix' or
API/ABI implementation broke working programs.

James