[Wine] Programs Won't Run in WINE

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 11:17:19 CDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Sweyn78 <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Hi!  I've been using Linux for exactly six days, now, and I've been using Linux Mint for two (I made the mistake of trying to start-out with Debian).
> Anyway, I'm trying to get WINE to work.  So far, I can get things to install, but nothing really runs.  For example:
>    *Oblivion: works until I click to make a new character, and then crashes before the intro video.  There is no music outside of the launcher and the loading videos which come before the main menu.  Rated 'Gold' at WINEhq.
>    *Medieval II Total War: It won't run.  Sometimes, it'll give me an error.  Rated 'Gold' at WINEhq.
> There are others, too, but the only ones that works so far without glitches are Steam and the ones that came automatically with WINE.
> Also: I have winetricks installed.
First and foremost:  Please, please, please (gets off of knees) visit
the Applications Database.
The Applications database has helpful information on how to run
programs with Steam and if you want to run these programs in
stand-alone mode.
Second.  What winetricks did you install?  Some of them may actually
cause problems with the programs you are trying to run.
Thank you.
James