[Wine] Buildung Wine on OS X

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 16:50:53 CDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 2:16 PM, doh123 <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> Sheva wrote:
>> A already have issues, for example full screen resolution or loading textures. Also I have a few problems on running the
>> game start. It wants to have "CD 2", but it is already launched and in listed in the preferences as mounted drive...
>>
>> Its not so easy to get it up. Yesterday it recognized the "CD 2" as mounted drive and run, but today it doesnt.  :?
>>
>> I really like that game and tried to let it run under a VM, but I got CTDs after a few minuted, so I was willing to try WINE.
>> Not easy...
>>
>> I also think, that this game is kind of a 16-bit thing (I remember to have read something somewhere about that) but I dont
>> know, what consequences will result out of this.
>>
>> It would be pretty neat, if Klingon Academy would run "platinum" on Wine.  [Wink]
>> Would it run better under Linux (for example Ubuntu)? I have plans to build a new machine later and get away from the
>> bitterness of Steves evangelistic religion which somewhat gives me the creeps. It would be the upcoming bulldozer CPU
>> with the upcoming Radeon 7k series... Is AMD supporting good drivers for Linux/Wine/etc ?
>

> Well I haven't ever played Klingon Academy, but I know there are unofficial ports floating around for it... including a Wineskin
> one over at portingteam.com.
>
> If you want to use Wine for gaming on Linux, you are MUCH better off using an nvidia GPU... ATI/AMD GPUs will be more
> problematic.

Not to mention that anything that wants to use 3D functions is
basically broken on any of the Intel GPUs.  Yes, a late model nVidia
is the only way to go with any of the recent Linux distribution
releases.

Some of the problems encountered by AMD/ATI GPU users are not present
on Macs.  However, load up Linux and they are right back.
Unfortunately, Mac buyers don't have much of a choice when they buy a
'pre-built' system like a MacBook or an iMac.

James