[Wine] Wine registration email - system failure

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Wed Jul 20 08:30:53 CDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 07:51 -0500, dimesio wrote:
> Obviously you've never visited the website. Every page has a "Hosted
> by Codeweavers" logo on it.

I do, but hadn't noticed it in the bottom right corner.

> The Crossover forum does not feed into the wine-user's mailing list;
> the header you cited came from the wine user's forum.

I know that one did, but thought I'd seen stuff from their forum
previously - obviously I misinterpreted the initial MTA-generated mail
header.

> Yes, we get lots of spam here. We delete from the forum as soon as we
> see it, but by then it's already gone to the mailing list.

Maybe delayed posting, if it can be arranged, would help?

> The reality is that our spammers are real human beings, and there's no
> way to prevent them from signing up without blocking legitimate users
> too.

Never said they weren't humans. A few hours delay in issuing the
challenge e-mail is still relevant since it may make other forums with
more instant sign-up more attractive to spammers.

> Not long ago Dan mentioned in a thread (I forget which one) that the
> forum software is going to be upgraded to a version with better spam
> control features. Maybe that will help.

I'll look forward to its arrival.

Martin