[Wine] Make WINE detect an image as a CD drive with an audio disc

boltronics wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Jul 22 09:25:10 CDT 2011

I've been trying to figure this one out for some time now without success and can't find anyone else with this exact problem, so hopefully there's a guru around here that might be able to point me in the right direction.

I've got a copy of Dark Reign I want to play on my netbook. The problem is that I only have a USB CD drive which I don't normally connect, but can for a once-off install. This is one of those weird multi-track CDs where the first track is data and the remaining tracks are normal CD audio... and I want audio in my game. So I ripped the whole image to bin format using AcetoneISO, and can mount that on the loopback (/dev/loop0) fine.
Code:
fdisk -l /dev/loop0

 reports the expected size (658Mb) so I don't think there's any issue with the way the image was ripped or looped.

So I've got:

Code:
$ sudo losetup /dev/loop0 dark_reign.bin
$ sudo mount /dev/loop0 /media/loop0

and I configured d: device in winecfg to be type CD-ROM or Autodetect. Either will be sufficient to get the game to run. However, I just can't get CD audio tracks (the background music) working. It does work fine if I insert the disc, let it automount and change the path in winecfg to where it automounted, but as stated I don't always have the drive with me. There must be some way to get wine to recognise these tracks on a loopback device.

I've tried setting various system link configurations under dosdevices based on hints I found via Google. eg:

Code:
c: -> ../drive_c
cdrom0 -> /dev/loop0
d: -> /media/loop0/
d:: -> /dev/loop0
z: -> /

Nothing works.

How do I get Wine or the Linux kernel to make /dev/loop0 appear as a real CD-ROM device so I can hear the audio tracks? Or maybe I'm going about this all wrong?