[Wine] Salvage old data?

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Mon Jul 25 15:57:08 CDT 2011

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 15:37:48 -0500, dimesio wrote:
	[....]
> If I understand correctly, it's a question about how to copy files from
> the wineprefix to the VM.

	No. Not remotely. I could do that, if it were all. My bad.

	I need to know *what* files to copy, and especially whether
anything in any of them might be the cause of my lost ability to
get the GPSs to talk to the software.

	I do have one clue whether the loss of this ability came from
something in Wine, or in Garmin, or what. That is that the new installs
on the virtual XP under VirtualBox came from the exact same CDs and DVDs
as the ones that so soon failed under Wine. (That's why it seems good
sense to ask here.)

	For instance, if I make it a point *not* to copy any .exe files,
am I then safe?? How about .ini? .sys? .Ink? .wix?

	How about folders that have one or more .exe files several levels
down? Ditto for scripts?

	Is there any way, especially any canonical way, to find out why a
program that once worked under Wine ceases to work? Or to specify that
any .zzz file (for some zzz), and only such files, can be map data, and
therefore harmless at worst?

	I don't think it could be file corruption, because I tried the
same things on at least four PCs. All worked at first, and all soon
ceased to. (I'm the only user in this house of GPS software, and can't
use it on more than one machine at a time. Garmin understood that when I
asked.)

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User