[Wine] Re: Wine 1.3.25 kills sound with PulseAudio

mikefreeman72 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Jul 27 15:59:01 CDT 2011

jorl17 wrote:

> For the record, back when PA and Wine had an incompatibility in Ubuntu (and when I used Ubuntu), I hacked away a very bad thing that allowed me to have sound. What I did was force Pulseaudio to go through DMIX instead of taking control over hw:0. This was great because I could have apps use Pulse and apps use ALSA directly. So I had Wine use ALSA and everything else use Pulse. It worked great for my needs, maybe you can temporarily do that?

This sounds like a good temp solution. How exactly did you do that?

> I don't know how you felt that ESD worked, but back in the days I used it, it was terrible -- in the sense that it lagged 1-2 s. So, in CS, I'd shoot and hear the shot 2 seconds later.

To be honest, we're not hard-core gamers. We don't play games that are all that timing-critical. Most of what I'm trying to get to work is games for my kids that people have given us as gifts (which of course are Windows-only). Some of the games give instructions audibly instead of written on screen, so the kids HAVE to be able to hear the audio.

In addition to those, Plants vs. Zombies is a family favorite. We don't HAVE to hear the sound on that, but it's nice to hear the music, and some of the Zombies have an audible cue as they come on screen, which is important in the fog levels (if you've ever played it that far, you'll understand). But nothing in that game is really affected if the sound is slightly behind.

So, I've never really noticed a delay.

> As for the new overhaul, I'm not upgrading Wine until I see that everyone has relaxed with all these sound issues.

I'm probably going to track down the previous version and reinstall it, if I can't figure out a better solution. Again, I'd really like to hear the details on your PulseAudio to dmix fix. Thanks!