[Wine] Wine registration email - system failure

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Thu Jul 28 09:41:59 CDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-07-28 at 08:53 -0500, dimesio wrote:
> Martin Gregorie wrote:
> >
> > Some of us use the mail list as our main or only access to Wine users.
> > It was recently explained that the forum feeds posts into the mailing
> > list BEFORE the moderators see them. This is a problem: the spam has
> > already hit the mailing list before a moderator can see or cancel it, so
> > the single thing that would improve our experience  is to move that feed
> > to a post-moderation pickup point.
> >

> That would require someone to read every single new post, several times a day.

Possibly my comment was badly put. What I meant was, that whatever spam
detection system is put in place, should deal equally with messages
being posted to the forum and sent to the mail list, which isn't
happening at present.

I can see two possibilities:
- use an automated spam tram along the lines that James suggests that
  queues suspected spam for moderators to review and release or kill.

- Use the system Ace suggested, of queueing messages from new users for
  moderators to review and release or kill. In this case two extra
  controls would be nice: a 'stop reviewing this poster' button and a
  'ban this poster' button.

These could both work together and need not be implemented at the same
time. Use of either would considerably reduce both spam and the
moderator workload. I, personally, would not mind if messages ended up
held in these queues for a few hours, so reviewing queued messages need
not be a particularly high priority task.

Martin