[Wine] Re: Wine 1.3.25 kills sound with PulseAudio

jorl17 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Jul 29 08:10:45 CDT 2011

mikefreeman72 wrote:

> jorl17 wrote:
> >
> > For the record, back when PA and Wine had an incompatibility in Ubuntu (and when I used Ubuntu), I hacked away a very bad thing that allowed me to have sound. What I did was force Pulseaudio to go through DMIX instead of taking control over hw:0. This was great because I could have apps use Pulse and apps use ALSA directly. So I had Wine use ALSA and everything else use Pulse. It worked great for my needs, maybe you can temporarily do that?
>

> This sounds like a good temp solution. How exactly did you do that?

IIRC it was in my last days of Ubuntu, so I was pretty much fed up with all that and mad. It was indeed extremely hacky, since I even grabbed the sources of libasound and changed them.

I have a link for what I did here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wine1.2/+bug/502375/comments/10 .

As you see (I'm remembering now), it's basically what I described. After rerouting Pulse through ALSA, I hardcoded a wine-default device to Wine (via registry) and to ALSA (by modifying the ALSA code). The last step (modifying ALSA code) would probably not have been needed , but my ALSA skills were (and are) very low. I suggest that a better solution might be to just create the pcm.!default entry to be of type "pulse" and to create a wine-default entry to point to dmix for playback and pulse (or dsnoop, you chose) for recording. As I look at it, it was indeed a terrible terrible terrible hack, but it did the work. feel free to PM me or email me at jorl17.8 at-symbol gmail dot-symbol com and I will try to help you out.

Cheers,

Jorl17