[Wine] Big Problem! Every thing has been deleted from home Folder

Frédéric Delanoy frederic.delanoy at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 02:14:38 CDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 04:25, rucker222 <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> Yeah I guess a lot of people learn the hard way!
> I would not be too bothered if it were not for the fact the girlfriend gets sick of me being to the computer enough as it is. She is going to love how long its going to take me to get things up and running again!  :?

If your /home was on a separate partition, you could try a live CD and
a file recovery program. You did backups, right, like we all do (hum)?

> I wonder if maybe a comment should be added to the Wiki page so other people who may be as dumb as me know there is no space in that command and to be careful.  If for no other reason than to save them from the hell I know the girlfriend is going to put me through over this.

That's why I only use Tab to autocomplete and never Space when I use
"rm -rf" (been there, done that)

BTW, using ~ instead of $HOME lets you autocomplete (at least in
bash). So rm -rf ~/.w<Tab> lists you your wineprefixes (if you put
them in a usual place).
Alternatively, if you do this regularly, put it in a simple shell script, e.g.

deleteWineInstallation.sh