[Wine] Disk space error

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Wed Jun 8 14:29:47 CDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 14:01 -0500, thrdwrld wrote:
> When running an executable file (such as a patch for a game), I get an
> error message saying that the installer couldn't start, and that I may
> be out of disk space. I'm fairly certain this is untrue. I'm pretty
> new to Linux.

Run 'df' in terminal to see how much space there is free on your disk.
If the patch executable size is more than 20-25% of the free space you
might be short of disk space. Otherwise the problem may be elsewhere.

Most distros have three or fewer partitions by default: /root, swap,
and /, which contains the entire filing system. If you have more
partitions than that ans can't figure out which may be running out of
space, post the output from df here and tell us where you are running
from ('echo $HOME') and where you've put Wine's virtual filing system
('echo $WINEPREFIX', 'ls -l $WINEPREFIX').

Martin