[Wine] Help with gnome panel freezing

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sat Jun 11 05:25:13 CDT 2011

On Sat, 2011-06-11 at 02:06 -0500, Text Motif wrote:

> At least once a day my desktop freezes. I can see everything, and the
> mouse moves. The mouse even does hover states over icons, but no
> clicking. Clicking won't do anything. The interaction between the
> mouse and X just stops. I have to switch to the keyboard, and
> ultimately press control>alt>backspace, logging back in again to get
> the mouse working. (It's a usb mouse: nothing special.)

This may not help, but....

Sometime back I had a similar problem with a Fedora installation - most
likely F8 or F10, so a while ago. The PC in question is quite old, so
has an optical mouse connected via a mini-DIN (PS/2) plug, and runs
24/7. Sometimes I'd try to login via its screen & keyboard. The mouse
would have no effect - pointer wouldn't move, clicking did nothing,but
moving it did cause its LED's brightness to change.

Unplugging the mouse and plugging it in again made it immediately
responsive.

> This is a drag, because I have to use the keyboard to cycle through
> all open programs to save all the open files before dumping the
> interface to log back in again.

Try my trick - unplug and reconnect the mouse. Its not a real solution
to the problem, but if it works it will at least avoid logging out.

If you can work out how to reliably cause the problem, raise a bug
report with Ubuntu.

Martin