[Wine] Doing anything on Wine uses 100% CPU

dpitch40 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Jun 11 11:42:33 CDT 2011

I am trying to get Wine 1.2 working on my system running Ubuntu 10.10. When I try to run a program in Wine via the command line, the CPU usage shoots up to 100% for a few seconds and it prints out the following message many times:

Code:
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle (nil), overlapped (nil)): stub

After it finished printing the copies of this message, the CPU usage drops, but the program keeps running without doing anything until I kill it. If I try to configure Wine (from the Applications menu) the CPU usage maxes out and stays there until a few seconds after I close the configuration window. If I check my processes at this time, I see that a process called slpd.exe is using about 180% of my CPU.

I've searched for help online and other people seem to be having CPU usage problems with Wine, but these always seem to be caused by trying specific applications; doing literally anything on Wine seems to cause this problem. I carefully followed the installation instructions and I've completely removed and reinstalled Wine several times, getting the same problem each time. What is going on?