[Wine] Re: Steam Ghost Window??

Bob Wya wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Jun 12 07:34:56 CDT 2011

at0m wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Just to get some background. What version of Wine are you using?
>
> 1.0.1, the one from the stable debian squeeze repos

That is a very old version of Wine. "Officially" the latest stable version is 1.2.3. I would definitely pull that from a .deb, PPA or source. You might even need the 1.3.xx series as the Steam client is updated so regularly! It definitely works with 1.3.21 (as I have Steam installed on my system with Wine 1.3.21).

at0m wrote:

> > Did you use winetricks to install the Steam client? Otherwise
> I presume you followed the guide on the Wine Steam AppDB page?
>
> Yes (and tryed without) and Yes. But i cant install dotnet30/35 (no volume for file extraction error)

Don't follow the AppDB tests. People seem to post any old random rubbish on those! (E.g. Gold- rated applications that need Wine source patching, need CD/DVD cracks and don't do multiplayer!!) You certainly don't need any .net/mono code or the full DX9/10/11 packages to get the Steam client working!!

I was actually referring to the HOWTO guide, below the users tests results frame, on the Steam AppDB page. To be frank even this is a bit out-of-date now though (see below for an easier way to install it!!)

at0m wrote:

> > I am not sure if the SSH X-Session tunnel is going to bugger things up... Since I've not tried using any tools like that! I presume you have tested Wine with some other Windows applications to see if they render OK over the NX session?
>
> Yes.. as a example windows firefox runs perfectly...

OK so just type (or use the winetricks GUI):

Code:
winetricks steam

which will setup a Wineprefix at ~/.local/share/wineprefixes/steam for all your Steam games. The winetricks script will pull in the dependent fonts and disable the Steam overlay thing. winetricks is an awesome script as it will (locally) cache any files it downloads (for use in other Wineprefixes, etc.)

All the best and good luck!  [Laughing]

Bob