[Wine] Re: LiveZilla

SpawnHappyJake wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Jun 15 16:21:07 CDT 2011

IT WORKS!!!!! :D [Laughing] Bob Wya, you are a saint! Thank you so much for bringing me to the solution!
And by golie, it works in WINE 1.3.21! Looks like we get to dodge filing a regression report this time.
Unfortunately, I won't be connected to the Internet by a to-the-house ISP until Tuesday, so it's back to the iPhone. If it was jailbroken, I'd tether.

I didn't actually set up a Livezilla server and "use" Livezilla, but I got the client up. I'm past the font complaints. My gut feeling is that KhalidAl can use Livezilla in WINE at his job now. It seems pretty stable. It even puts an icon in Linux's version of the "Tray Notification Area".

I wrote very detailed instructions to do what I did to make it work, and posted them here:

http://pastebin.com/Pe4kAwxH

Question: Can I spoof fonts? In other words, can I take an open source font's source code, and compile it in such a way that it reports itself as another font? The reason why this is relavant is because someone that's gone "pure open source/freeware" and doesn't have a license to Windows would have to purchase a license to "Microsoft Sans Serif (True Type)" to legally have this font and make Livezilla work in WINE...UNLESS that person could compile an open source font to look like "Microsoft San Serif (True Type)". Then Livezilla would use that font instead of Microsoft San Serif (True Type). Just pick a similar-looking open source font.

Cheers,
Jake